LML: White nuns and Chocolate Gospel 6/27-6/29


June 30, 2011
This week has whizzed by!! I have had multiple rehearsals every day for both Don Bucefalo and my two scenes, mixed in with voice lessons and coachings. PHEW!! I am a pooped girl.
Tuesday night I had another concert, this time held in the local church. I had spent much of the day either in rehearsal or at home studying, but I actually had enough time to shower and do my makeup for the concert (unlike the last one…ew.). Therefore, I had a pretty little “up do”, lamenting the fact that I had to cake my hair in hairspray so soon after washing it.
Outside of the church, we were met with a nun in a white habit who spoke English. She originated in the States and joined a convent in Italy when she was 15. Now she was currently visiting Novafeltria to write a book. We chatted with her for a while, then entered the church and found our places.
Singing in the church was wonderful. I sang Schubert’s Ave Maria, singing to the crowd and the beautiful side-altar decorated with statues and paintings of Mary. The acoustics were more live than in the Teatro, but I still struggled to implement some of the new techniques I have been learning. I am confident that I will be able to implement the techniques by the end of this program, but right now they still feel foreign to me.
I was blessed to hear some amazing gospel from a few of my African American and African Canadian peers. I had thought that gospel was amazing when belted, but when sung in a healthy, modified operatic styling…my heart melted and all words were taken from me. It was exquisite!
Wednesday brought more rehearsals, but I had enough time in between things to post some photos and skype with my parent’s and Lance. I went to dinner with “the gang” at the restaurant I spoke of earlier, which was owned by an English-speaking Italian who lived in New York for three years. He made a deal with me that I should speak Italian to him and he would speak English to me so that we could both work on our language. If I remember correctly, this tactic worked for my dad, so I am excited for the prospect. I am learning Italian, but at a painfully slow pace…
I actually got to bed at a decent hour after introducing Emily and Jeffery to Il Signor and Bambino Signor, my Spiders (Yes, big spider had a baby who is not about the size of the head of a pin.). That didn’t stop me from waking up multiple times during the night, of course, but I got more sleep than I have in a while.

Comments