A Whole New World

Humans like to categorize things. We categorize our food, entertainment, racial traits, and even our time. I could argue about how our incessant need to constantly categorize often leads to violence and discrimination, but that is for another rant on another day. Instead, I am going to discuss the phenomenon of entering into a new category--a new time period of my life.

I have so far been through three time periods, mostly dictated by my education; childhood, adolescence, and college/young adult. These time periods were fairly easy to define as they are mostly developmental (again, a discussion on developmental psychology and neurology is for another day.). The period I am entering into now is a little more ambiguous--adulthood. If you think about it, adulthood is the longest portion of our lives, split up by less defined events such as getting a new job, going through one of the big M's (matrimony, motherhood, menopause lol I can't think of any others), or hitting pivotal ages (30 seems to be a scary one to people, and 50 is at half life... Love ya daddy!). We no longer receive any pomp and circumstance when we reach our milestones. No more caps and gowns, no more parties with 50 of your closest drinking buddies and friends, no more GPAs to prove your worth.

Adulthood seems a little daunting. Granted, I am starting this segment of my life in fairly kick a$$ way--going to Italy to train in Opera, living my dream... Still, it does kind of suck that I have to now "give in to the man" and start the 9 to five. I have begun the process of applying for career type jobs (which if you are in the market for a job, check out indeed.com! Easiest job search engine I have ever found. They even have an app!) and really don't know quite where to go from here. I have to have a day job--how else will I pay for voice lessons and trips to auditions--but I refuse to take a job I will hate or will be pigeon holed into for the rest of my life. Why would I choose to live my life unhappy?

My first interview is on Monday (4/25) for the Utah Symphony | Utah Opera. The job is  right up my alley (or so I believe), and if I land it, I would be fully immersed in the business side of the thing I love the most. If not, I am continuing to be optimistic. I will have made some new connections, and gained some much needed interview experience. Who knows what will happen? Perhaps that is the scariest and most exciting part of opening this new chapter of my life--anything can happen.



Kimberly

PS... I found one of the videos of the Chamber Singers in Ireland (see my last post). My section is right next to the camera so blend is kinda bleh, but whatever.Click the link and check it out!
Earth Song in Ireland

Comments

Post a Comment