LML: Bites, Raid, and Churches 6/23-25




June 23, 2011
Beccate, beccate, dappertutto! I am covered in bug bites. You think I exaggerate? I have bites on my big toe, shin, calf, back-of-knee, ankle, both arms and even my butt-that’s right, the little bastard flew up my skirt. How rude! This means war.
I bought and Italian form of RAID today and have it all set to go. All the spiders, mosquitos, jewel bugs and other miscreants had better find another home, ‘cause tonight is judgment day at the apartment!
I sprayed at the perimeter of all the rooms in my apartment, all windows, all corners, under every piece of furniture… a little excessive, I admit, but if it means an end to spider-filled nightmares and better sleep, I’m okay with that. The guilt only overtook me once, when I spied a little spider desperately dragging itself across the floor with its front legs, the four back legs paralyzed and useless.  As it made its final attempt to escape the sudden coming of its death, the poor little thing seemed to almost be cursing the skies and crying “Death is only the beginning!!” Later in the day, the spider was nowhere to be found, so I have some hope that the valiant creature survived.

Otherwise, today was filled with classes, coachings, and lessons. I had my first coaching with Ubaldo, the wonderful little Italian man who is a part of the school we work in and who announced the program at my concert. He is a glorious teacher. I spent my half hour with him going over one page of music, slowly learning how to speak Italian in a fluid, legato way so that it flowed with the music. We found some great things. I wish I could study with him all the time, but we rotate coaches so that we can get many opinions.


June 24
Last night was splendid. It was the solstice festival in Novafeltria, which Jeffery explained to me was an ancient, pre-Christian celebration of the summer solstice in the name of a goddess. Many followers fo the goddess were deemed witches when Christianity became the dominant religion in Italy, and therefore the holiday now is filled with women dressed up in witch costumes and other witch-themed activities. Bowls of water filled with flower petals and floating candles lined the doorways, in the hopes that the owners will find love.  People would write down their worries on paper and burn it in a large pot in the middle of the street so that the troubles would be taken from them.  

Aside from the mystical aspects of the festival, there was live, traditional music and dancing, hand-made jewelry venders, and of course enough wine to satisfy all. I took video of some parts and will try to remember to upload them.  After experiencing the festival, I sat at a cafĂ© in the piazza with my friends and peers, and conversed until I couldn’t stay awake any longer. Jeffery walked me home,  discussing differing philosophies on life, and I fell asleep, dreading what I thought was going to be a crazy busy day to come.

However, today was more laid back than I had originally thought it would be, and I am very grateful for it. Other than Italian, the only thing I had was a second coaching with Ubaldo at 6:30. I have been working with him on pieces that I am just starting, in order to learn some more rep, but I think I will use my next lesson to fine tune a piece I already have.  Perhaps I could work on something that I can sing on one of the next concerts?

In between class and my coaching, I skyped Lance and my parents, and helped out a new friend who just had her identity stolen—and all her money with it. Apparently, it happens all the time. This lu lu or whatever somehow figures out you are leaving on a trip and compromises all your cards, wiping out your bank account and destroying your credit. How it happens, I don’t know, but It devastated my friend. My bank account was just recently compromised during that whole Michael’s craft store mass ID theft in Salt Lake. I was lucky that my bank caught it before any money was swiped, but I understand how scary it is. What she said is true, It was a violation.

There was another concert tonight, this one for the “upperclassmen” of the group, so I had the opportunity to sit in the audience and listen. I was in awe of my peers, truly. They all sang so beautifully and the choice in pieces was for the most part refreshing. I was especially surprised by some of the men. The women I have grown up singing with were always more serious about classical than the men, so I haven’t heard very many young operatic male voices. Some of the singers were guys that I have been making friends with, who are in my class, and who sometimes look nothing like you would expect such a gorgeous sound to come out of. Amazing.

After the concert, a few of us went to a little pizza place (it was now near midnight and this guy was open!)
near my place, where we ate some very tasty pizza and drank a house wine that had an incredible kick of some kind of spice in it. The owner of this place had lived in the states working as a chef for many years (in good ol’ New York), spoke very good English, and was incredibly attentive. Of course, Emily knows him (Emily, who do you NOT know in this town?), but I got the sense that the service we received was not just given because Emily was a friend. I am going to try to bring him as much business as I can. He really deserves it.

After this, it was wine and bed. A nice, leisurely day. J

June 25, 2011
Disclaimer: Mom, I’m going to talk about spiders. If you don’t wanna know, skip to the bolded below.
I think I am developing a slight phobia of spiders. I love spiders, but I like them when they are huge or itty, not these large, pointy-butted arachnids with long, angular legs who randomly drop from the ceiling or greet me in intricate webs on the gate. I came so close to grabbing one on accident today coming home. A beautiful black with gold stripes…the size of my thumb pad. I stared at with morbid fascination until I was able to rouse myself, grab my camera and grab a few shots.

Lying in bed, I jump at every slight movement or sensation that remotely resembles a spider, the RAID bottle at my bedside table more as a security blanket than anything. Funny how I went from loving spiders and wanting to have one as a pet to having small panic attacks any time I think one could be even remotely near by.  As I said, I like the big ones (camel spiders, tarantulas, etc.), but these little nasty things have to go.

K Mom, All Good.
 
Today was a nicely laid back day. I had Don Bucefalo for a few hours, then worked on music and read until the faculty concert at 9pm. I was really excited to hear my teachers perform, as well as to see some excerpts from our upcoming Operas performed by their cast. The concert was held in the piazza, in front of the ninth century (is that right? It’s old…) church, the faculty and leads dressed to the nines and singing into mics. It was chilly, though, and even in jeans (Thanks mom), an undershirt, shirt, and jacket, I found myself shivering and decided to call it a night when it was done.

Other than my late night up with the spidies that commenced after that, all was well in the life of Kim. J Tomorrow is VENICE!

Comments