La Musica Lirica

As I alluded to in my last entry, I am currently pursuing Opera--which is funny, seeing as I have spent the last ten-ish years avoiding Opera like the plague. Unfortunately, the only genres of music that cater to the voicings of a high soprano are Opera, choral, maybe some pop (although I grow a little queasy thinking of dear Mariah Carey's attempts at incorporating soprano notes into contemporary pop...), and hardcore rock (thank you, Nightwish.). Because opera was so...Wagnerian to me (I am not a fat lady with horns and a vibrato spanning an octave, nor would I like to be), I instead dabbled in Jazz, pop, and contemporary christian for many years. These genres never really explored my upper register, and therefore my high notes were only allowed to flourish in voice lessons and the occasional Moses Hogan choral piece (Which you can hear at my upcoming-and final-concert with the Westminster Chamber Singers on April 15 and 16 at 7:30pm! Visit www.westminstercollege.edu/music for more information!). It really wasn't until I sang "O Holy Night" at Christmas Mass a few years ago that I fell head over heels in love with singing Opera and decided to seriously pursue operatic training.

Now, this rambling back story is important--I promise--because of what is happening this summer. 

A few months ago, I auditioned for a 5 week opera program in Italy called "La Musica Lirica." In this program, I will be fully consumed by Italian Opera, including 5 hours of Italian classes a  day, two coachings and two private voice lessons a week, as well as recitals and a part in one of the two Operas that will be showcased during an annual festival at the end of the program. It is a HUGE opportunity and perfect starting point for anyone looking to pursue a career in Opera. I literally screamed when I received my acceptance letter (probably freaking out everyone in the Westminster Music and Theater Office at the time...), and have hardly been able to contain my excitement since I heard the news. I leave at the end of June, and I am counting the minutes.


However, with every huge opportunity comes sacrifice and hard work (aka money and lots of memorizing :-P). I have to raise around $8K in order to go, and am therefore planning on holding benefit recitals from now until June, including my Senior Recital on May 21. After April I will be doing anything I can to make and save some cash (excluding, of course, selling my soul/organs/priceless ceramic unicorn collection, or walking State Street late at night), and would love any ideas on fundraising opportunities. Until May, I need to focus on graduating (yes, that is happening this year too... If I can pass all my classes and get my @#$@%$ paperwork signed...) and learning my music for my senior recital. This blog will keep any interested updated on my progress, upcoming fundraisers and of course my day to day doings when I am in Italy.

 Things are starting to fall into place.

On a completely different note, the piece I have for you to hear today is one that cuts deep into my heart. It is one the Chamber Singers performed last year on our tour of Ireland... My favorite memory of this piece is when we sang it in a tiny, ancient chapel in Glendelough, Ireland that was not open to the public. The combination of the words and the dissonance of the harmonies bouncing off the simple, yet resonant chapel walls bring me to tears still.
 This is the chapel that we sang in. It is gorgeous in it's simplicity. I am amazed we fit 30 people in there. When you breathed in, you could taste the 6th century air...Amazing.

Comments