La Musica Lirica: June 18 and 19


June 18, 2011

I’m in Italy! Currently, I am sitting in the bus, surrounded by a myriad of soft conversations and trying not to listen in on any of them. I really enjoy people watching, and as I still have two hours to Novafeltria, listening to the natural ebb and flow of voices keeps me awake.  It is rude, though, so I am trying to refrain.

My first flight from Salt Lake to Detroit started a little shaky, as I had more trouble saying goodbye to my parents and Lance than I anticipated having, which set into motion a series of time-wasting events (security) that led to my arriving at the gate minutes before boarding. Unfortunately, this meant that I did not get to eat the Cinnabon I was craving—or anything for that matter—until we were fed a measly cookie and bag of peanuts on the plane which kept the hunger at bay but did nothing for my motion sickness. The flight was fairly turbulent, and had I not had an empty stomach, the constant rollercoaster-like dips of weightlessness would have been really fun. My sickness was compounded by the large man in the center seat who leaned so far into my seat space that I was crammed into a space the size of one butt-cheek with arms and legs flailing into the isle. I was exhausted, though, and somehow was able to sleep.
Despite my issues in the first flight, I would say that this trip to this point has been surprisingly good. I have had many a bad experience with international travel, particularly with flights (Cough, Beijing…16 hours…not good.), but this trip has been a breeze in comparison. My second flight went off without a hitch. I was well fed, well drugged (Dramamine is my friend.), and spent much of my time sleeping, watching and balling through Country Strong, and chatting with my neighbors. I wasn’t able to sit near Gretchen and Emily, but was surrounded by a youth group from Kalamazoo who were heading to Italy to do some service work. The chaperones were seated next to me and were a delight to talk to.
Thankfully and with the help of my piano app on my phone, I had enough time to look over some of my pieces that I will be singing over the next five weeks. Man, o, man, am I nervous to perform for these people!! I am doing my damndest to ensure that my pieces are as down pat as possible. I also had some time to do some Rosetta Stone, where I learned how to say boy, girl, man, woman, horse, dog, and cat, and how to put them into sentences together.
                The boy is under the airplane; un bambino sotto un aereo.
               
So far, my Italian knowledge is only useful for authorities searching for bodies and for getting funny looks on the train. I am confident that I will soon be able to make a fool out of myself more eloquently in the future.

Once at the airport in Rome, we met up with the rest of the La Musica Lirica group and waited for our bus to arrive. During this time, I had a wonderful pseudo-lunch with Gretchen, Emily , Dr. Breault (pronounced “bro”), and Jeffery, Emily’s piano coach and friend.
O. My. God.
Even the airport food was divine! I had a prosciutto plate with FRESH mozzarella (as in, just plopped out of the cheesecloth), oil and balsamic, and tomato. It was simple fare, but explosive in flavor. I have never tasted prosciutto that succulent! I am so excited to eat my way around Italy….Let’s just hope I am moving around enough that it isn’t apparent that I ate everything in sight when I get home. :-P
The view throughout our bus ride to Novafeltria has been gorgeous. It is not as green as Ireland was, but the landscape is all rolling hills covered in rows of orchards, spindly trees that reach for the sky but seem to suck in their girth as they grow, and the most adorable brick-and-plaster houses, each with planter-filled balconies bursting with new blooms of brightly arranged flowers. I will try to take some pictures for you to see.
At this point, we have about one more hour until we are in Novafeltria.

June 19, 2011

I awoke this morning at 8am, Italy time, aching everywhere. My bed was soft enough for me to sleep, but hard enough to remind my muscles of the contortions they had endured on the plane the entire day before. I didn't have to be anywhere until 11, so I went promptly back to sleep. 

For the next month, I live in a one-bedroom apartment next to the "biggest grocery store in Novafeltria," which is about a third the size of most Fresh Markets I've been in. I have a fully furnished kitchen (built in a closet, I think), dining area, bathroom (which consists of two toilets, a sink/vanity and a shower head and drain..no tub, the bathroom IS the shower), and large bedroom that I will share with a room mate, if she ever shows up. The floor is made of a beautiful pseudo-mosaic red and yellow tile, and the walls are covered with old family photos and religious paintings.

It's so funny how familiar everyone is! I look around and I feel like I'm at a family reunion: same eyes, same smile, same nose...oh yes, that Santa-like bulb of a nose lives on in
Italy. My land lady even looks like my auntie Camella twenty years ago, and talks my head off....I still don't know what she says, but she is so sweet. The only conversation that we had that was somewhat successful occurred today after my first trip to the grocery store.

She asked if I had food in my bag, and I agreed. 
Woot.

Today has been mostly meetings, and I am getting ready for a nap--did you know they participate in siestas in Italy, too? Somehow I thought it was a Spanish only thing. It's incredibly hot here, so I can see why. 

There is a party for La Musica Lirica tonight at 8, and I may go... I will know better after a nap. :-) Tomorrow I start working on my scenes, and Tuesday starts my formal classes in Italian.

Yikes. Lots to do in little time. 

Look for me again soon!


Addio!


Comments